The world’s best architecture colleges are in the UK. From ornate classical architecture to modern designs, in the UK you will find many such buildings which have been well designed by architects.
According to UK (Universities UK International), more than 13,000 international students visit the UK to study architecture every year. Let us tell you in detail about the Best Architecture Colleges of UK.
Why study in UK?
Admission to architecture colleges in UK is through the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) or the Architects Registration Board (ARB). More than 50 universities in Britain are registered with RIBA. Let us know why to study from UK architecture colleges.
- According to qS Ranking 2021, 3 UK universities that offer bachelors/masters in architecture are in the list of top 10 universities worldwide.
- After doing masters in architecture from UK a person can earn 60% more salary than doing bachelors.
- At UK, architects get an approximate salary increment of 12% every 16 months.
What is RIBA?
To qualify as an architect, you have to register with the Royal Institute of British Architecture. Students have to complete 3 parts along with their studies, which are as follows.
- Part 1: You can register as a student member of RIBA. Part 1 can be completed with your bachelor’s degree. The full-time time taken to complete the course is 3 to 4 years. It allows you to understand the basics of architecture as a bachelor’s student.
- Part 2: To get Part 2 qualification, 1 year practical experience at stage 1 workplace is a must. Part 2 can be completed with your master’s degree. In it you gain architectural knowledge and project complexity.
- Part 3: You need 24 months work experience (stage 2) to register as an associate member of RIBA to get Part 3 qualification. Part 3 is the advanced diploma in professional practice.
In UK architecture colleges, you are being told about some basic eligibility criteria, which is as follows.
- For Bachelor course in Architecture, 10+2 (Science Stream) is required to pass with 50% marks.
- On the other hand, if you want to apply for masters, then you must have passed the four-year bachelor’s degree and for PhD it is necessary to pass the masters in the relevant course.
- Minimum 95% marks in English language and relevant fields
- high/secondary school transcripts (mark sheet, school leaving certificate etc.)
- proof of financial support
- Statement of Purpose
- English proficiency (IELTS or TOEFL) scores
- Letters of recommendation
- GMAT GREscores
The application process for uk ke architecture colleges is a bit lengthy. From important documents to digital portfolio, you are advised to apply at least 6 months before the start of the semester. Below you have been told the step by step process.
- Select the college of your choice and see what are the eligibility requirements for Indian students.
- Compile a digital portfolio to attach to the online application form.
- Attach your essential documents mentioned in the minimum requirements in the online application form.
- Submit your online application form and wait for 3 to 4 weeks for the response.
- If your online application form is accepted, then you will have to apply for student visa. If you aim to complete a bachelor’s as well as a master’s degree in architecture from the UK, you will need to renew your tier 4 visa at the graduation level.
University College London
University College London is globally ranked the 2nd best in the world and the best among the top architecture colleges in the UK. It provides an opportunity to the students to blend creativity with historical techniques. uCL offers 6 bachelor’s degrees in architecture, urban planning, design and real estate for international students.
Indian students at UCL are required to complete one year of bachelor’s degree in any recognized Indian university. There is a provision to do masters in architecture and urban planning for 2 years. UCL is a RIBA accredited university so you do not have to pay RIBA fees additionally.
University of Cambridge
The University of Cambridge is one of the most popular architecture colleges in the UK. Cambridge offers 6 postgraduate courses to architecture graduates. For postgraduate courses you need a UK high honors degree or equivalent. Most of the notable alumni of the architecture department have built their own studios after postgraduate. For BA Architecture, Indian students should qualify in any one category of chemical engineering, engineering, natural sciences with their 12th percentage.
Manchester School of Architecture
Manchester School of Architecture is a collaboration between Manchester Metropolitan University and the University of Manchester. The school has large studios which make it quite easy for the students to design big projects. It is a RIBA accredited school, which allows its architect students to explore the work-life while studying.
University of Sheffield
The University of Sheffield is ranked fourth among the UK’s top architecture colleges. The University of Sheffield also offers a pathway program to international students. If you are not eligible for this course due to some reasons, you can pursue an extra year studying international foundation in business, social science and humanities to develop the necessary skills. After which you can proceed in degree studies.
- Accident Lawyer in the USA: Your Guide to Legal Expertise
- University of Washington Admissions: Your Path to Academic Excellence
- The Importance of Mother’s Day: Celebrating the Unconditional Love
The architecture school of Cardiff University is very unique compared to the rest of the architecture colleges in the UK. They offer a combined B.Sc/M.Arch course for 5 years. Lectures as well as one-to-one tutorials are provided by the faculty. School-funded study visits are planned for all students in the UK or abroad for projects in the first 2 years. The tuition fees for this unique 5 year course is Rs 21,00,000 (GBP 20,388) per year.